Sunday, October 5, 2008

Facebook or Open Book?


Facebook.  A common aspect of life for young adults everywhere.  People spend hours on Facebook checking posts, posting pictures, requesting new friends etc.  With technology advancing everyday, when will Facebook become too much of an open book about its users?

Recently I read and article on CNN.com about how Facebook is "coming to the streets."  A German company called aka-aki (basically the German version of Facebook) is developing a social networking device for blue tooth users that will notify a user when they come within a 20 meter radius of another user.  Then, they will be able to view the profile of that user and find out their interests, activities, compare them to their profile pictures and so on and so forth.  

When I read this my jaw just about dropped.  What kind of society have we come to live in, that we feel it necessary to know the personal details of strangers lives because we pass them in the street?  This article is proof that the world we live in has become addicted to social networking and online communities.  

I admit I like to "creep" on Facebook.  I also admit that I spend a decent amount of time on this online community, and I think that many of my fellow peers would say they have similar habits.  However, I didn't realize there was obsessive enough use that today's market would feel compelled to create a device that allows a person to be in coffee house, and realize that barista is single and loves the movie Little Miss Sunshine.  No can really be sure that the device that aka-aki is developing will be successful, but the fact that even is being invented is proof that people feel that they need to be able to access their online community all of the time.  There is such a dependency on social networking that people want to know every time they are in contact with someone else who also social networks.  Mass amount of time and mass amount of dependency equals addiction.  People ARE addicted to Facebook, and this is evidence of it.


2 comments:

Vange Marie said...

Wow! Now personally, I think this is taking it a bit too far! When has it become our business to know every single person who comes in radius of us! I don't feel that this new device is necessary because it is just changing the whole idea behind ONLINE social networking. For people who are totally obsessed with online communities, this may excite them but for me, I'm creeped out!

Sarah said...

This is completely ridiculous! I think that the term "creeper" is at it's all time high with the new social networking device. I would not want to be walking down the street and have someone stop me and say, "Oh I love Harry Potter too!" There are people out there addicted to Facebook...and to tell you the truth, I think they need something better to do with their lives.